Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter & Passover - A Time for Hope...

Thank you to Susan Blaison from Birmingham, Alabama for sending this article to me-Susan commented that she had received a copy of this article from a dear friend after her 29 year old son died suddenly 2 days before the birth of his first child-her first grandchild...  I totally agree with the author, Margaret Gerner's, comments that each and every article read through the years since the deaths of my own children, which recounted the most horrific life event "the death of a child" have also always left me with a sense of HOPE.  HOPE that eventually I would smile again, be happy again, and gave me HOPE that the tremendous heartache I was feeling would ease and become bearable...  HOPE is something that helps us survive this Journey from Mourning to Joy - I want to wish you all a joyous Passover & Easter and HOPE that you too can find HOPE and PEACE ..  Cherie Houston

HOPE, ~ By Margaret Gerner
Bereaved Mother and Bereaved Grandmother
St. Louis, MO -BP/BereavedParents.org

I sat down regularly to read the many newsletters that I receive from the chapters (BP/BereavedParents.org) across the county. Most of the time there were articles in them that made me cry a little. I read about children who are dead and parents who were hurting, but never did I come away from those reading sessions depressed.

I came away with hope, hope that the searing torment does lessen and eventually give way to warm, loving memories of our child.

When we are in the deepest throes of our grief, when our beloved child has just recently been snatched from life by a tragic accident or succumbed to a fatal illness, or died in some other way, can we believe we can ever be happy again? When to simply get up in the morning is a major accomplishment, can we believe that we will ever be able to function with enthusiasm or purpose?

When every thought of our children brings excruciating pain, can we believe that we will someday be able to think of him/her and smile? I know it is hard to believe that this will ever happen, but it will.
Words used in defining HOPE are expect, trust, anticipate, wish, desire and confident.  These are the key words.

If we expect, trust and anticipate feeling better, we will in time.  If we wish it and are confident, the day will come when we will feel better. Of course, it doesn’t just happen. It takes long hard grief work. It takes many painful hours of allowing ourselves to go through our grief.

It takes patience and it takes time. But know you will come to the light at the end of the tunnel.  Know that there is hope. Know that many many bereaved parents who have been in the same painful place that you are now have found life meaningful again.

Know that you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment