Monday, November 23, 2009

THANKSGIVING - NEW MEMORIES

~ 1977-1981 by Priscilla Norton, Pawtucket, RI

For parents who have only recently (and recently can encompass months or years) suffered the death of a child, the holidays can seem unbearable. As we begin to prepare for Thanksgiving later this week, whether it is your first Thanksgiving without your child or many more, it may seem unbearable - we hope that memories of other mothers who have lived this journey from mourning to joy before us will offer some comfort...

I remember the inability to chew or swallow that first Thanksgiving after Linda died; the choked-back tears, the sick heart, the hollowness, the painful memories of Thanksgiving past, and the blessed relief sleep brought to my pain.

I remember – the busyness of working as a volunteer that second and third Thanksgiving after Linda died, and the good feeling it game me of “running away” from it all and the blessed relief sleep brought to my pain.

I remember – the inability to prepare any of her favorite foods that fourth Thanksgiving after Linda died, the tears that fell at the smell of the turkey cooking, the parade, the football game, the emptiness, the incomplete family, and the blessed relief sleep brought to my pain.

I remember awakening with a lightness and joy in my heart that fifth Thanksgiving after Linda died; the thankfulness for having my remaining family together, the beautiful memories of past Thanksgiving, the “wholeness” of me, and the blessed relief peace brought to my pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment