Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Blessings from St. Patrick

On March 17th people across the world celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day. Yes - it's the wearin of the green, the feasting on corned beef and cabbage and irish ale, but how much do most of us actually know about the man we celebrate each year. Saint Patrick is known as the patron saint to the Irish people because he is the one who brought Christianity to Ireland. According to legend, he used the Shamrock to teach about God. Since the shamrock has three leaves on each stem, Saint Patrick likened the shamrock to the Holy Trinity. St. Patrick taught that in God there are three divine beings: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The shamrock was sacred to the Druids, so Saint Patrick’s use of it to explain the trinity was very wise

A segment of a poem written by St. Patrick (ca 377):

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through a confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment