Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Bend in the Road...

“In the book “A Bend in the Road,” David Jeremiah writes “When you’ve walked through the fire, people begin to listen to you. When you have wisdom borne of suffering you begin to have the tools to accomplish something in the world.”

I saw this first hand when a friend of my husband lost his two year old son. He could not wait to talk to my husband. He searched Don out at the funeral and could not get to my husband fast enough.

He grabbed Don and broke down in his arms. I think just Don’s presence comforted him. When he asked Don how he was going to go on, Don told him there was only one way. He listened while Don explained to him about the love of the Lord Jesus and how HE has carried us through our own trial. I believe the death of our children has given us a freedom to speak to others about our faith and they also tend to listen to us in a more expecting way. We have been through the fire. We have the opportunity and the responsibility to reach out and comfort others and in the process we can spread the word about the Love of the Lord.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, there have been gifts given me from my child. Gifts like NO other. Little nuggets of truth, of heroism, of the purest love I have ever known. Purified by fire, I guess. LIKE GOLD.

There is NO gold purer or more precious than this….and yet sometimes it is so bright that it burns our inner eyes and brings tears and pain to the body and soul. Bright as the sun it emits a power that can heal us and also burn us…yet we hold it tightly in our hearts.

We who have this gold…..are blessed….and cursed….the love, the gifts, the loss, the pain, and yet there is no power in heaven or on earth that can take it away from us….nor would we let them.

Today I’m encouraging those of you who can…..to make your grief into a GOLDEN FIRE……to reach out and embrace another who is hurting. In the reaching out to another, your own HEALING will and CAN begin.

“There will come a time when you believe everything is finished.  That will be the beginning.”
………Louis L’Armour

No comments:

Post a Comment