Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Never Forgotten

I love this story, because it reminds me that it healthy to ensure that our children who have gone before us are not forgotten.  Yes, it's OK to remember them and speak their name and share their stories - it's up to us be sure they are remembered..  

Most of us never hesitate to talk about our children and or grandchildren who are thriving, so why are we hesitant to speak of our "angel children" those who are no longer here...  And for me personally, I choose  to focus on, remember and speak of their lives, no matter how short, not how they died...     

~ by Vicki Tushingham~

I recently had an experience that touched my heart and I want to share it with you. 
I have a new job as General Manager of a private tennis club.  My first week at the club, I met a member known to all as “Old Bill.”  Bill is 92 years old and perfectly independent and active.  He comes to the club most every Friday, enjoys lunch and, weather permitting, a game of tennis.  “Old Bill” likes to talk, and we became fast friends.  He told me how he had lost his wife a few years back and how he misses her, particularly so, he said, because it was just the two of them.  Bill then went on to tell me that he and his wife had lost their only child when she was 8 ½ years old.  He asked if the story was boring me;  I assured him it was not, because I too, had lost my only child. 

Bill then sat down and told me the story of his little Shirley’s life and death, just as we all tell our stories at support group meetings.  He had the same need to tell it again as we all do.  But he told it with pride and joy blended with the sorrow of his loss.  “She was a beauty,” he said, “and bright as a button.”  If she had lived, she would be 70 years old today; she’s been gone 62 years.  In turn, I told him of my Sandy.
Though I cried for Bill’s loss of Shirley as I do for all of us, I was comforted by the confirmation that, while decades pass, our children are never forgotten.  I’ll now know of a little girl named Shirley, who will always be loved and never forgotten by her dad, and as I pass this story along, you too will know “Old Bill’s Little Shirley.”

No comments:

Post a Comment