Sunday, May 22, 2011

I'm Free

Several days ago in my post I'd mentioned how sad I'd been and now I wonder if it wasn't a premonition of things to come... I'd just finished writing that post when we learned that family friends for many years had tragically lost their wonderful 38 year old son Keith the night before - apparently a massive heart attack.  

On Friday this week, May 27th, Keith and his high school sweetheart Brenda would have celebrated their 16th wedding anniversary with their 2 beautiful girls Kristen & Kayla who are only 12 & 14... Keith's parents, our friends, Dan and Sue and Keith's brother Kevin, his wife Patti & their son Marc and Keith's entire family are shocked and in so much pain, a pain that we each know only too well.. (So please keep them in your prayers)

When we arrived for Keith's services last Thursday evening, Keith's parents, Sue & Dan both said the same thing to us "Déjà vu" and sadly it was.. Coincidentally, the night of Keith's service, was also that of my son Bob's 20 month anniversary... Why does this happen? Who knows, but we all know it's not fair - no parent should ever have to bury a child.. Yes Keith, like Bobby, and all of our children no matter their age, are and were were much too young to go before us, but it wasn't to be...

As the priest spoke at Keith's service, it saddened me to know that more moms and dads would continue to join this horrible club - just as each of us have. Thank God we don't know who or when, and we can't change it, it is just life.. like it or not... But what we can change is making sure that each and every new member of this club - the mom's and dad who find themselves in our position, know that they aren't alone and that together, with each other to lean on, we will make it - we will move forward and celebrate our children's lives and legacy, taking comfort that they are waiting for us and we will see them again. I believe that most if not all of our children, if they could speak to us once in heaven, would tell us words similar to those in this poem....


Note-Friday May 20th, the day after Keith's service-Dan & Sue's only other child-their 41 yr. old son Kevin had a heart attack and is currently at a hospital in Boston-please keep Kevin and the entire Carlisle family in your prayers... we just never know...
I'M FREE
~ By Linda Jo Jackson
 Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free
I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard him call;
I turned my back and left it all.

I could not stay another day,
To laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way;
I found that place at the close of day.

If my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared a laugh, a kiss;
Ah yes, these things, I too will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much;
Good friends, good times, a loved ones touch.

Perhaps my time seems all to brief;
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, He set me free.

No comments:

Post a Comment