Monday, September 6, 2010

Greater Compassion for Others

Shortly after our son Bobby died in September 2009, one of the moms in our group recommended this wonderful website – GriefShare.org.  She recommended signing up for their daily inspirational emails that might help on this journey from mourning to joy – I did and I'm so glad - they have helped and I'm always surprised how they seem to come in at just the right time and touch on so many days it was as though they were directed directly at how or what I was feeling.. I wanted to share this one with you.. Cherie Houston

Greater Compassion for Others ~from GriefShare.org website

It is amazing how grief enables people to relate to one another at a deeper level than before. Until you've experienced grief, you cannot empathize with someone else who is going through it. During your healing process, you may find yourself becoming more sensitive to the hurts and needs of others.

"Sometimes I can't even recognize the person I was before," says Dora, who lost a child. "I think that my ability to empathize or have compassion has been strengthened. I'm not so quick to place judgment on a situation or on a person. What may appear on the outside to be one way, may be a completely different story on the inside."

You know what grief feels like. You know what it's like to disguise your feelings as you go about your daily tasks, keeping a stoic face as you relate to people at work, in the community, or at church.

Use your experience and knowledge of grief to help others. You are the one who realizes that everyone has deep fears and griefs of their own. What act of kindness or compassion will best help those you come in contact with today?

God asks you to follow Jesus' example of kindness, compassion, and forgiveness. Follow His example daily.
"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you" (Ephesians 4:32).  Lord God, let me not make assumptions about the people I meet today; instead, guide me to pass along Your kindness, compassion, and forgiveness. Amen.

For more information or to enroll to receive the daily emails, please visit the following webstie…

http://www.griefshare.org/dailyemails/

No comments:

Post a Comment