Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolutions for the New Year ahead

A New Year is dawning – and some say it’s a time for resolutions. For those of us who are grieving the death of our child, resolutions can be different from those of our friends and families. We hope these resolutions might help you to find peace and joy throughout the new year ahead…
  • I will try not to imagine the future and take one day at a time.
  • I will allow myself to cry, both alone and with my loved ones.
  • I will not shut out family and friends from my thoughts and feelings.
  • I will take care of my health. A sick body will only compound my troubles. I will drink a lot of water, take multivitamins, rest (even if I don’t sleep) and exercise moderately. I will help heal my body as well as my mind.
  • I will keep a journal to see my progress through grief.
  • I will be patient with myself
  • I will learn to accept that the journey through grief does not meet a specific timetable
  • I will share my feelings with friends and let them share with me. I realize I am coming out of my shell when I care about the pain of others.
  • I will try not to expect so much understanding from those who have not walked the same path.
  • I will learn to accept the help and kindness of others.
  • I will be kind to myself, and appreciate my health, appearance, and time alone.
  • I will try to be more considerate of my spouse and children; I know that they are also grieving and deserve my help.
  • I will try to concentrate on my blessings, instead of my losses.
  • In memory of my child, I will do something to help someone else. This way, my child can live on through me.
  • I will celebrate my child, instead of focusing on the circumstances of their death.
  • I will remember that I owe it to myself and to my child to enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment